The objective of this assignment is to demonstrate the importance of good competitive research in a business venture. It is also intended to help you with your group project by identifying the competitors your business might come up against.
Submit a brief (less than 5-page) written report of the following:
- Define what is meant by “competitive research” in a business context.
- Clarify the differences between direct, indirect and other types of competition.
- Provide one (1) good example of a competitive analysis. Briefly note why you feel this is a particularly good example. (Please include actual
example as an appendix to your assignment. This will not be included in the page count.)
- Indicate at least five (5) methods of competitive research you used in this assignment.
- Write a competitive analysis for your company. I recommend you use a table to summarize the key competitors and evaluation criteria. If you make any assumptions, be sure to state them clearly.
- Summarize your report with a recommendation to your “Board”.
- Format: email as a word or pdf attachment or hard copy
- Due date: start of class on Wednesday 15 October
- Grade: 15%
- Be sure to cite your sources!
- A thorough competitive analysis could be 100’s of pages long. Since you have only 5 pages, be sure to focus on the issues that are most important to the viability of your business
- this is an individual assignment. After you have handed in your assignment, I expect you to share your findings with your BUS477 team members
Questions? Recommendations for your classmates?
- Please use the class discussion forum